011::Matryoshkas on Parade

Matryoshka keychains

I learned how to sew when I was in fifth grade. Nothing intricate, just handsewing plush animals cut from pre-made patterns (I chose a whale) and an apron made from coarse cloth (I botched mine fabulously by sewing all sides of the pocket shut).

To save myself from pricking my fingers to numbness while for my apron-sewing assignment, I begged my mother to teach me how to use her antique sewing machine (all metal, non-electric, the good stuff). She spent most of her patience helping me sew straight hems, but I was too stubborn to stay put and practice. So in the end, I relented to hand sewing all the assignments.

And the hand sewing continued for years after that home economics class. In high school, I decided that I wanted to start making my own clothing. I tried my mom's new sewing machine that time, but I was still too stubborn to sit down patiently and practice sewing in a straight line. So, of course, I went back to hand sewing and pricking my fingers.

Only recently have I actually sat myself down and taught myself how to sew with a machine properly. And only recently have I actually decided to start learning proper hand stitching techniques. And I'm addicted! I can't believe I was so stubborn to learn this when I was younger! I can't stop stitching, stitching, stitching!!!

3 comments:

  1. These are so pretty Laura! Congratulations on the new blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are adorable! I think it's great that you pretty much taught yourself how to sew. It'd be fun to make things for yourself to wear!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. love them and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
    kisses
    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete